Many, many ways to keep up-to-speed on just about everything going on in Old North and/or Activities of ONSLRG...
Keep scrolling down for links to electronic versions of our Old North Community News newspaper.
E-News from Old North St. Louis Restoration Group
Our blog at ONSL.org/blog is a good way to keep up to date on what we're up to at Old North St. Louis Restoration Group - and to access a lot of good detail about our past activities, but periodically we also send out an e-newsletter to Old North residents or friends of the community who have signed up to receive these sorts of updates in their email. If you aren't a subscriber - or if you just want to read up on previous editions, see below for the full list.
If you’d like to subscribe to the eNewsletter so that you’ll receive future issues straight in your inbox, click HERE to be taken to a page that offers a space along the right side of the page for you to enter your name and email address.
Click on the following links to read past editions of our e-newsletter:
September 26, 2014 - with info on the Southeast by Old North benefit concert & raffle; events at North City Farmers' Market; a preview of the Walk to & Picnic at the Trestle; and the Fall edition of Old North Community News newspaper.
August 15, 2014 - with details about the Double Bucks campaign & many more activities at North City Farmers' Market; the Rise Up Street Festival at Crown Square; farewell to summer interns; and Sylvester Jacobs' photography exhibit at the ONSLRG Gallery.
July 10, 2014 - with info on North City Farmers' Market; new ONSLRG t-shirts; the Landmarks Association award to ONSL's Lane Family; welcome to Charlotte Harris; highlights from the Annual Old North House & Community Tour; chess lessons at the Chess Pocket Park and other Land Lab updates; openings at Crown Square; the Brickstarter campaign featured in the RFT online; the So Reel series addresses healing racism through the arts...
May 6, 2014 - with info on GiveSTL Day and an overview of all of the work ONSLRG does to revitalize Old North - and how support of our members & contributors makes that happen.
May 5, 2014 - featuring previews of GiveSTL Day and the Old North House & Community Tour.
- Nov. 1, 2013 edition, featuring info on the benefit concert featuring Five Eight and Last to Show First to Go;
- May 31, 2013 edition, featuring an invitation to opening day of North City Farmers' Market's 7th season, Firecracker Press plans for Crown Square draw attention of STL Magazine, Land Lab groundbreaking and national media coverage for that project; highlights from the House & Community Tour, Crown Square corner plaza dedication, and the Spring Fling Vintage Street Fest, and invitations to attend Grace Hill's Whitaker Concert Series and Great Rivers Greenway's open house for info on plans for the Trestle project.
- May 16, 2013 edition, featuring Previews of our 2013 Old North House & Community Tour;
- April 5, 2013 edition, with the following articles: ONSLRG wins Growing Green Award from USGBC-Missouri Gateway chapter; open house at Blackmun Footcare; Brightside Blitz Day; Trivia Night for North City Farmers' Market - and a link to a promotional video for the market; updates on the Land Lab project, ONSLRG's Easter event, arts open-mic nigh, CBN's awards program, plans for a streetcar line to serve Old North, and our Brickstarter campaign for 1316 North Market;
- Feb. 15, 2013 edition, with info on our Annual Meeting & Pot-Luck Supper, a link to a video of highlights from 2012, a St. Louis Beacon article on Old North as a haven for artists, Tino Ochoa receives "40 Under 40" award from St. Louis Business Journal, and an introduction to the Brickstarter campaign for 1316 North Market;
- Nov. 9, 2012 edition, with info on Missouri Immigrant & Refugee Advocates' annual art exhibit in the Old North Gallery, Great Rivers Greenway's open house for Branch St. improvments and Trestle plans, invite to ONSLRG's Winter Holiday Market, report on Quality of Life meetings presentations on proposals for a new charter school and a dog park for Old North, and highlights from Old North's Halloween activities; and first announcements about the Land Lab competition and the plans for improvements to the Crown Square corner plaza;
- Oct. 25, 2012 edition, with updates on the October neighborhood meeting, news about the passing of Mike Karandzieff of Crown Candy Kitchen, a recap of the 2012 North City Farmers' Market season, and plans for a neighborhood clean-up with SLU's Make A Difference Day;
- Oct. 11, 2012 edition.
- Oct. 5, 2012 edition.
- Sept. 28, 2012 edition.
Old North Community News, ONSLRG's Neighborhood Newspaper, Distributed Door-to-Door to All Households in Old North
On a quarterly basis, we produce a hard-copy neighborhood newspaper which gets distributed door-to-door to all households in Old North and placed at various retailers, businesses, and gathering spots thoughout the neighborhood. Our latest issue was published for distribution in June of 2015. If you haven't picked up hour hard-copy or just want to read it online or download it for future reading, click HERE. We also published a paper in March of 2015 (which also had a "Spring 2015" date on the front page). Click HERE to see and read that one.
In the past, we produced an organizational newsletter. PDF versions of past newsletters also can be found below.
Here's what others have had to say about Old North:
St. Louis Post-Dispatch, November 15, 2014: article about Gina & Travis Sheridan and their home on Wright Street - with an opening line we happily endorse: "Great things are happening in Old North St. Louis..." with an accompanying video, in which Travis describes Old North St. Louis as "probably the best neighborhood in all of St. Louis." Click HERE to read the article online, and to see the brief video tour of their home.
St. Louis Public Radio, October 26, 2014: This story, titled "Voices from Old North St. Louis: The Area Continues to Grow" features interviews with a diverse mix of recent arrivals and lifelong residents, business owners, and other stakeholders. Among the voices providing assessments of Old North's positive direction is Dr. Annessa Blackmun, who opened her podiatry practice at Crown Square and then bought a home in the neighborhood: "We love the people here in this community, and it is moving in the right direction..." Click HERE to read the story - and to hear clips of the interviews.
St. Louis Magazine Blog, May 30, 2013: report about plans of Firecracker Press to open space at 2612 N. 14th Street. "...situated within the larger context of Old North St. Louis’s development as a hub for innovative minds and unhindered creativity." Click HERE to read the whole story.
Marketplace, on American Public Media, April 26, 2013: "In recent years however Old North has become kind of famous in urban planning circles as a testing ground for new ideas in urban redevelopment." Click HERE to listen to or read the whole story on the Sustainable Land Lab competition in Old North.
U.S. Green Building Council Missouri-Gateway Chapter website: ONSLRG wins "Community Champion Award" at USGBC-MGC's 2013 Growing Green Awards. Click HERE for the story.
St. Louis Beacon, March 22, 2013: "Old North residents celebrate rebirth, discuss what could be". Click HERE for the full story.
St. Louis Beacon, February 15, 2013: "Old North: a web of artists, rehabbers, and general characters". Click HERE for the full story.