image
1COMMENT
Sunday, May 2, 2010

Crown Square Wins “Most Enhanced Award” from Landmarks Association

A few days ago we learned that Landmarks Association of St. Louis  will present the Crown Square redevelopment of the former 14th Street Pedestrian Mall with one of their coveted “Most Enhanced Awards” on Friday, May 14.  Because this award for “outstanding rehabilitation projects” comes from an organization whose mission is “to preserve, enhance, and promote St. Louis’ architectural heritage and to encourage sound planning and good contemporary design,” it is indeed an honor to receive this recognition.

As the entire Crown Square redevelopment nears the finish line, this award provides another good opportunity to review the transformation that has been happening over the past couple years.  The following photos show how these crumbling eyesores have been rescued before they ended up as more rubble in a landfill somewhere.  By recycling and re-using these historic structures, we’re not only preserving the irreplaceable historic and architectural character of the community, but we’re also bringing high quality housing opportunities for households across the economic spectrum and attracting businesses to locate in the community, along with the jobs and tax revenue they generate.

2601 N. 14th Street in 2006

2601 N. 14th Street in 2006

2601 N. 14th Street last month, ready for residents to move in upstairs and almost ready for new businesses in the storefront spaces.

2601 N. 14th Street last month, ready for residents to move in upstairs and almost ready for new businesses in the storefront spaces.

2605 N. 14th Street in 2004.

2605 N. 14th Street in 2004.

2605 N. 14th Street last month.

2605 N. 14th Street last month.

2600 N. 14th Street in 2004, long after its glory days as the Peters Bros. Dry Goods & Clothing Store in 1881 and later as home to the 1st JCPenney in the City of St. Louis, from 1928 to 1975.

2600 N. 14th Street in 2004, long after its glory days as the Peters Bros. Dry Goods & Clothing Store in 1881 and later as home to the 1st JCPenney in the City of St. Louis, from 1928 to 1975.

2600-10 N. 14th Street in December.  The south-facing apartments upstairs offer fantastic skyline views.

2600-10 N. 14th Street in December. The south-facing apartments upstairs offer fantastic skyline views.

2612-24 N. 14th Street in 2007.  The building, with the name Rosenbaum on the front, was known to most residents as the Sobel Dept. Store building.

2612-24 N. 14th Street in 2007. The building, with the name Rosenbaum on the front, was known to most residents as the Sobel Dept. Store building.

2612-24 N. 14th Street, earlier today. With apartments upstairs, the building offers ideal space for a restaurant on the ground floor, including ample space for sidewalk cafe in front (with a great view of the Arch) and along the Montgomery Street side.

2612-24 N. 14th Street, earlier today. With apartments upstairs, the building offers ideal space for a restaurant on the ground floor, including ample space for sidewalk seating in front (with a great view of the Arch) and along the Montgomery Street side.

2611 N. 14th Street.  Once the home of Rubenstein's Shoes and later Otto & Joe's shoe store.

2611 N. 14th Street. Once the home of Rubenstein's Shoe Store.

2611 N. 14th Street in December.

2611 N. 14th Street in December.

These are just a sampling of the 27 buildings (and just some of the buildings on the 2600 block of N. 14th) that have experienced full historic rehabilitation as part of the Crown Square redevelopment, a collaboration of Old North St. Louis Restoration Group and Regional Housing & Community Development Alliance with E.M. Harris Construction Co. as general contractor and Rosemann & Associates as the architectural firm.  Check back tomorrow for some more before and after views of other buildings in the project.  And come on out next Saturday to see all of this in person at the Old North St. Louis House & Community Tour.  Tickets can be purchased online from the link on this website.  With the award this year for the Crown Square project, and another award to yet another Old North property (1408 Wright Street), the 2010 Old North tour will feature 4 Most Enhanced Award-winning projects.

And please join us on May 14th to celebrate the award.  The award ceremony and celebration will take place at 5:30 p.m. at Paradowski Creative’s new space in the former Missouri Electric & Power Co. building, 1928 Locust.  Tickets for the event can be purchased by calling Landmarks Association at 314-421-6474.

This entry was posted on Sunday, May 2nd, 2010 at 2:35 pm and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 COMMENT:

"Crown Square Wins “Most Enhanced Award” from Landmarks Association"

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

*
*
 
* Required

WHAT'S NEW IN OLD NORTH

Welcome to the Old North St. Louis Restoration Group's blog. What's New in Old North chronicles the dramatic transformation under way in the neighborhood of Old North St. Louis. As a neighborhood just north of Downtown St. Louis, Old North is becoming a dynamic urban village of new and historic homes, a landmark eating establishment, beautiful community gardens, and a diverse, friendly, and engaged community.

  • CATEGORIES
  • RSS

    Subscribe to this blog's RSS feed (what's this?)